Monday, February 21, 2005

Ultimate

Today (where "today" means Sunday the 20th, technically the day before I wrote most of this since it was after midnight, and not meaning the 25th, the day I technically published it) I played Ultimate barefoot, in the rain. It's the only time I've done that, I think. I'm pretty sure I've only played Ultimate in the rain one other time, and that was before I started playing barefoot (since then I've been enlightened). There were a lot of people there this time, and it was the most fun I've had in a while, I think. When I played Friday there were puddles and wind, but no rain. Nonetheless, the threat of rain seemed to have scared off most people, so we didn't actually have enough people for a game, just enough to toss the frisbee a bit. This made me start to wonder nostaligically what happend to the good ol' days of Sunday afternoon Ultimate, with a ton of people coming out every week, who didn't think a little rain would make them melt. This was admittedly a teeny bit hypocritical of me, since I've been too busy to play Ultimate most days they play, including Sundays.

At any rate, there's nothing like playing in the cold, rain and wind; your hair as wet as if you'd put your head under a faucet only a minute before, taking off your glasses so that you can see better, your clothes soaked and mud-spattered, your hands numb and stiff and altogether clumsy with the frisbee, your feet stepping at any minute into squelchy mud or splashy water, mallards on the field -- feeling just as "at-home" there as in a river... doesn't sound like the most fun you've ever had? Huh. Maybe I'm not describing it right...

2 comments :

Marcy said...

Yep. I'm glad someone else thinks so. Wow, I've never run a 12K. How'd you do?

Wandering Naturalist said...

I did all right--53rd out of 162 in my age group (35 - 39-year-old women), or something like that. It was my first time to do a 12K, too, so what I really liked about it is that I enjoyed the whole run--pretty course, felt good, and I didn't injure myself. I did run pretty hard, though, and did come down with a cold the next week, which hampered my marathon training. I notice that you caught the Evil Sickness of Death not long after making me jealous by playing in the rain. :)

Glad you liked the last line of my seagull poem!