Thursday, January 26, 2006

Dreams

I want to be a translator -- translate Japanese to English. It's a bit of a bold dream, since I don't speak much Japanese at all, but I'm extremely confident in my language learning skills (no, that doesn't make me arrogant -- language learning skills do not in any way make a person inherently better than anyone else), so I think it's an attainable dream.

Becoming a published author, on the other hand, is a dream that I can barely admit I have, because it seems so presumptous. Heavens, I didn't even take any creative writing classes in college! Writing has been a HUGE part of my life ever since I first learned how, but it's mostly been in journals and such, and not actually stories. On the bright side, even if I'm never published, writing skills would help as a translator, too. But anyway, here I am, actually admitting it's a dream, and a dream that I've begun to work towards recently. You won't be seeing any of my stories on here for a while, but maybe someday.

In the meantime, I'd like to say that I would like to meet Shannon Hale someday. She just sounds like the sort of person who would make a very good friend. Andrea would like her too. Her latest book just won a Newbery Honor, and this is her reaction.

No comments :