Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fruits Basket Volume 2

Fruits Basket Volume 2 by Natsuki Takaya

Time for a Fruits Basket review posting spree! See, I have most of them written, just not posted yet. And I actually wanted to write about volumes 16 and 17, but the only one I've posted on here before is for volume 1. So here goes.


To give a very general overview of this particular volume of Fruits Basket for those who have seen the anime, it tells about Uo and Hana coming over to check out Tohru’s living arrangements, the culture fest (with the surprise onigiri and Tohru talking about umeboshi on people’s backs and the dress for Yuki), the introductions of Momiji-kun and Hatori-san, Tohru’s trip to the main house and Hatori and Kana’s story, the New Year’s Banquet, Hatori’s change to seahorse and more of his and Kana’s story. Here are a few of the quotes I wrote down. May they remind you of their scenes and cause you to smile. Italics, by the way, mean the person is only thinking, not speaking (I assume, since italics generally appear without a speech balloon); or that they’re telling about what someone else is saying or has said, as in this first quote.


“‘People around the world are like onigiri. Everyone has an umeboshi with a different shape and color and flavor. But because it’s stuck on their back… …they might not be able to see their umeboshi. “There’s nothing special about me. I’m just white rice.That’s not true. There is an umeboshi – on your back. Maybe… …the reason people get jealous of each other… …is because they can see so clearly the umeboshi on other people’s backs. I can see them, too. I can see them perfectly. There’s an amazing umeboshi… …on your back, Kyo-kun. Sohma-kun is wonderful. Kyo-kun… …is wonderful, too.’

‘…! Th-- That’s exactly what I’m talking about! Where do you come up with that stuff? And why does it have to be an umeboshi? Some metaphor!’

'I-I’m sorry. Should I have used salmon?’

tweee ‘Ah! Oh, the kettle…’

‘……… …hey. You know… …there’s one on your back too. An umeboshi. I can see it.’

…‘Really? Really?!’

‘It’s a little plum. A reeeeeally tiny one.’

‘I love little plums!’” –Tohru & Kyo


“Hana-chan opened a fortune-telling booth. ‘Um… are Yuki-kun and I compatible?’

‘No. You should give up on him for your own safety.’”


Kyo, staring at a cat-shaped onigiri: ‘If I eat this, does it make me a cannibal?


“‘…I’m just so glad… …I got to meet everyone. Even if I am being used for some purpose… …giving me the life I have now… …I want to say thank you. I will never regret… …that I got involved. I never could. I’m the way I am now… …because of Sohma-kun and the others.

‘What about me…? Are you happy you met me?’

Of course!

‘Tohru is like a mutti – she makes me feel safe!’

Mutti?’” –Tohru, Momiji


“‘Do I… do I have to do anything?’

You… just need to be you. As for the rest… I think it’s still too early to tell you. I’m sorry.’

The Sohma family. I feel like I’ve learned a lot… …and yet, I haven’t learned a thing. I have a strange feeling about today.’” –Tohru, Shigure

Yes, Tohru doesn’t need to know her fairy tale task. Her particular
umeboshi brings healing to relationships without her even really trying.


“‘Why didn’t I realize? How could I miss that? So at peace, all by herself… NO ONE’S LIKE THAT. I want to go home. I want to go home right now.’” Yuki & Kyo together


“‘But I do understand why they’d want to skip out… Even I have things I can’t stand. And sometimes even I want to run away…’

‘No, no, this year, I don’t think… …it’s because they’re trying to run away.’” –Haru & Shigure


“‘Why would I give him to you?! I don’t need you! You can’t even break the curse! I don’t need you! I don’t! I don’t!’” –Akito to Kana about Hatori

Very un-Tohru! What a sad way to evaluate people.

No comments :