Saturday, October 06, 2007

New Moon

New Moon (Twilight #2) by Stephenie Meyer

10-11-11 Edit: Now that I have the page of alphabetical book reviews and it's easier to find these old reviews than it used to be, I feel the need to add caveats. Now that the series is so popular, and given some of the fans, some of the things I said in these reviews make me cringe today. I am not a complete moron. I swear. I have good friends and people I highly respect who loathe the series with an abiding passion. I do not. But I can see why you do. I am not going to defend the series here and now, but I will say that I would have been more cautious and defensive in my praise if I had posted these reviews later than I did.

Continues in the same vein as Twilight, but especially shows off how good Stephenie Meyer is at describing feelings and internal struggles. Seriously, this book is dangerous if you don't have time for one or two sittings. There's a lot of sadness in this one, and if you stop in the middle of it you may be pretty depressed, and not just because you'd rather be reading than whatever it is you have to do! I guess I may have been affected more than some people would be, since Empathy is one of my strengths according to Gallup, and I had memories this was tapping into. But still, this is a powerful one.

No comments :