Sunday, February 03, 2008

A Certain Slant of Light

A Certain Slant of Light by Laura Whitcomb
Read: 1/15/08-1/16/08
Librarything tags: YA, Ghosts, Ghost's POV, Romance

The first line of this book reads, "Someone was looking at me, a disturbing sensation if you're dead." It easily hooked me, as did the first page... the first chapter... etc. I was a goner. I can remember some movies in which the main character is a ghost, but the only other book I can think of like that is The Ghosts Who Went to School, and that was an entirely different sort of book. A Certain Slant of Light is not comedy, nor is it a children's book. It's barely YA. It's suspenseful, romantic, and deep.
My only doubt was her portrayal of Christians -- but that was quickly put to rest. I didn't get the impression that she's trying to say all Christians are like that. Just some -- and I have met some of them myself. Her portrayal is very human, very true. This world of the Quick and the Light would be interesting on its own; but there isn't just fun speculation, there's the healing of old wounds. Excellent.

No comments :