Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Brilliant Insights


:-P

So, there was a thing. Brent Weeks posted on Facebook, "Is Lightbringer "pulpy, charismatic fluff," or something more? A Tor.com review on The Broken Eye." With a link. But that's not the point right now.


My brother suggested that maybe his books could seem like fluff if you're used to having themes shouted at you? Maybe?

I commented,

"Heh heh. I haven't finished The Broken Eye yet, so I'm not reading the review, but that's still an easy question to answer.
"Though for someone who reads for this sort of thing it can almost sometimes feel like you're shouting the themes at me -- I mean really, Night Angel was structured by death, Lightbringer by secrets and deception, and LOOK AT THE MAGIC SYSTEMS -- it's all in a good way. The sort of way that makes me feel brilliant when I spot a new layer, and I'm not even the one WRITING the stuff! :D

"Literally less than thirty minutes ago I texted my sister a new flash of brilliant insight. I want to put it on your wall, but there are slight spoilers, so I was trying to remember if all posts automatically hide comments at first on web Facebook, not just phones... I could put spoiler warning in the post, then comment on it. But oddly enough, web Facebook seems to be down right now, and there is only my phone. Sad."
And then...

"Dang it. It doesn't. Now where am I supposed to post my brilliant insights?? Oh yeah, I have a blog! Um, be right back..."

So. SPOILER WARNING!!!




















Here's what I texted to Melanie.

"WHOA I JUST REALIZED SOMETHING.
Kip the Lip?
OF COURSE HE TELLS THE TRUTH HE'S THE LIGHTBRINGER.
That is all."
And later,

"Oh, and the two series have more in common than I realized. Telling the truth is the self-sacrifice, the little death. (Even Kip isn't perfect. Neither was Kylar. Riiight, and sometimes telling the truth will "kill" others... oy.)"


















































THAT IS ALL THE SPOILERS, I'M DONE, YOU CAN COME OUT NOW.

No comments :