Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Twilight (again)

Twilight (Twilight #1) by Stephenie Meyer
Read: 12/21/07-12/24/07
Librarything tags: YA, Fantasy, Romance, Suspense, Vampires

10-11-11 Edit: Now that I have the page of alphabetical book reviews and it's easier to find these old reviews than it used to be, I feel the need to add caveats. Now that the series is so popular, and given some of the fans, some of the things I said in these reviews make me cringe today. I am not a complete moron. I swear. I have good friends and people I highly respect who loathe the series with an abiding passion. I do not. But I can see why you do. I am not going to defend the series here and now, but I will say that I would have been more cautious and defensive in my praise if I had posted these reviews later than I did.


Yep, I've reviewed this one before. I read it 9/14/07-9/16/07 as well. I have no idea how long it's been since I read a book a second time so soon after the first, but it's gotta have been a long time. See, we talked about the Stephenie Meyer books at work, and then I was thinking of it... and I just felt like reading it again. So good! So romantic. I love Bella. She's awesome.

I'm even tentatively excited about the movie. The book is heavy on internal emotions, etc. (it's first person point of view, after all), but hopefully it will be adapted well, and acted well enough to portray all of that. I hope Kristen Stewart looks a bit more like she apparently did in Speak and some of her other movies. The heavy eye makeup, I'm-trying-to-look-sexy look doesn't seem very Bella. At all. Bella is not just a hot chick in a horror movie. Yeah, you do want it to seem like all the guys at her new school would find her attractive (or even gorgeous), but you also need to make it believable that she doesn't find herself particularly pretty and that no one really paid attention to her at her old school. I think the younger looking, less makeup pictures work better for combining those two. After all, Kristen Stewart is an actress -- she's pretty enough to dress like an insecure introvert and still turn heads.

Robert Pattinson (Cedric in Harry Potter), on the other hand, looks perfect. No more worries about how they'll portray supernatural beauty... I guess. Only... does he plan on developing an American accent? Because Edward may have used archaic speech patterns occasionally, but he definitely wasn't British. Meh.

"They were enjoying the snowy day, just like everyone else -- only they looked more like a scene from a movie than the rest of us."

"'I've never tried to keep a specific person alive before, and it's much more troublesome than I would have believed. But that's probably just because it's you. Ordinary people seem to make it through the day without so many catastrophes.'"

2 comments :

Mathetria said...

"Only... does he plan on developing an American accent?"

Actually, I understand he has a good one, and he currently lives in LA, so plenty of exposure. :-)

Marcy said...

Oh, good.