Thursday, November 06, 2008

Writing When You Don't Know Where You're Going

It's more efficient than one would expect. See, as I try to figure out why certain characters are doing certain things, my main character thinks about and vocalizes the different options. A lot of this may have to be cut later on, but it's writing that I would be doing no matter what, since I think more clearly in writing. I would either write about it in notes, before the draft; or like this, in the draft. But doing it this way, I get a little bit of usable prose at the same time. What's not to like? Well, it does feel a bit like pulling teeth. But there can always be frustration in planning and hammering out plot.

I'm at 10,589 words now. Go me.

Also, I love the fact that I have both Suetonius' The Twelve Caesars and The Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy Tales sitting in a pile on my desk for the sake of flavor text. I like quotes at the beginnings of chapters. And a Suetonius-Tasha Tudor combo? Perfect. Evidently. Although I'll admit I'd prefer an annotated original Grimms' Fairy Tales... I'm going to have to get that... I have read the original "Rumpelstiltskin," I just don't own it. Which would come in handy. Ooh, birthday present, anyone? Speaking of which, I don't feel comfortable donating to NaNoWriMo this year, since John and I are at one of our worst financial positions yet (which is saying something), and my spending affects him, too. But I would love it if other people would donate to them for my birthday. They deserve it. They are awesome, and they need it.

No comments :