Monday, December 15, 2008

No Plot? No Problem!

No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days by Chris Baty
Read: 9/26/08-11/30/08
LibraryThing tags: Writing, Humor

I had to give this book five stars because I wasn't just rating the book, but the entire concept and program. And it got me to write a novel, so there you go. Far better than The Weekend Novelist ever managed. I highly, highly recommend this book for anyone who so much as thinks it might be kind of fun to write a novel someday. It's all about the amateur effort. It works well for those who want it to be more than an amateur effort too, but it's a wonderful place to begin, regardless.

And it's light and encouraging and silly, with such helpful advice about the last week of the month as: "But make sure, when you're at the store, to pick up two bottles of champagne. If you are underage, you can pick up a champagne substitute, such as beer." and observations on the Inner Editor like: "Because this month, you'll leave your Inner Editor here with me at the fully licensed, board-certified No Plot? No Problem! Inner Editor Kennel -- where it can spend its days carping with other Inner Editors, happily pointing out typos in the newspaper and complaining about the numerous plot holes on daytime television. It will be very, very happy here."

The only reason I didn't read this book in one day is because I wasn't "allowed" to. There were sections specifically to read on the first week of the noveling month, or after finishing, or what-have-you. So I finished it as quickly as I could.

No comments :