Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fruits Basket Volume 3

Fruits Basket Volume 3 by Natsuki Takaya

Since I just read Telling the Truth, I realized that Fruits Basket is a fairy tale. For example, at the beginning of the story Tohru stumbles across the supernatural, a normal feature of fairy tales. Transformation, another one, is very obviously there, both in the animal transformations and as Tohru slowly heals everyone.

This one contains the introduction of Hatsuharu-san at the school distance run, the introduction of Kagura on Valentine’s Day, and the White Day hot springs present for Tohru. I found out that there’s a name for a “portrait of a deceased person” – iei. Anyone who’s seen Fruits Basket can figure out how that came up.


“‘Hey, Hanajima-san…! I bet you did great.’

‘Really?’

‘Yeah! Well, you sure look smart, and people say you can sense waves or something. How did you do on last semester’s finals?’

‘Let’s see… I think… …I had to take supplementary lessons every day… …and my parents were called in for conferences… Yes, mother was crying…’

‘That’s… I mean… What about your sixth sense?’

A sixth sense cannot make up for a total lack of common sense.’” –random student and Hanajima


“To pay for… the valentine’s… chocolate…?

YOU ID—

‘Kyo-kun?!’

‘….. The bath… you… go…’

‘Huh…? Ah… oh…’

‘Very good, very good. You controlled your anger well.’” –Kyo, Tohru, and Shigure (This refers, of course, to Kyo realizing that Tohru spent all her money on the chocolate for them, and telling her to accept their White Day present and go to the onsen. It’s so much better with the pictures.)


“‘I don’t know if you care whether or not I go… but…’

‘No, no, I do care!’

‘?!’

‘It will be so much more fun with you there! I’m so happy!! Thank you so much! I’m so happy! Thank you so much!’

‘….. you… …you really are… ….. …hopeless.’” –Kyo and Tohru

No comments :