Sunday, October 28, 2007

Fruits Basket Volume 4

Fruits Basket Volume 4 by Natsuki Takaya

This volume had the following scenes: the bit with Kyo telling Tohru not to zone out when she’s alone, Momiji and Hatsuharu starting at Tohru’s school (Momiji in a girl’s uniform), Akito coming to the school and a bit of Yuki’s background, the introduction of Ayame, the anniversary of Tohru’s mom’s death and the introduction of Momiji’s mother.


“‘If someone can cause those scars… …there is sure to be someone… …who can heal them. That fact gives me more than a little courage.’” –Shigure to Hatori, about Yuki.

“‘Skin him. Now. Barbecue the bastard!!’” –Yuki, talking to Shigure, referring to Ayame, when he first shows up

“‘Tohru-kun… …has tried really hard. She’s been able to keep smiling for a whole year. I’m sure she scolded herself every time she was about to get depressed. I… …if Tohru-kun were to die, I… …I wonder if I’d be able to smile again… …or if I’d wish… …that I could forget ever having met her?’” –Uo-chan (I think – it could be Hana-chan, the pictures weren’t extremely clear on that)

“‘…I want… …to live with all my memories. Even if they’re sad memories. Even if they’re memories that only hurt me. Even… …even if they’re memories that I’d rather forget. If I keep them and keep trying, without running away… …if I keep trying, then someday… …someday I’ll be strong enough that those memories can’t defeat me. I believe that. I want to… …believe that. Because I want to think… …that there’s no such thing… …as a memory that’s okay to forget. That’s why… …that’s why I really… …didn’t want mama to forget. I wanted her to keep trying. But… …that was my selfishness.’” –Momiji

“‘I also… …believe that. I want to take any memory… …and hold it in my heart… …and believe that. So I can be someone who won’t let those memories defeat me. Someday… …we’ll overcome the pain… …and we’ll have precious memories.’” –Tohru


And a couple explanations from the editor:

“1) In Japan, one of the names for a seahorse translates literally to ‘baby dragon.’ This is how Hatori refers to himself. Japanese dragons are traditionally associated with the sea, so the bizarre seahorse became associated with the mythical creatures.

2) It’s too early to say who the chicken and the horse signs might be, but yes, they do show up in the manga. The anime covers the first 8 volumes of manga, but as of now, the manga is up to 14 volumes in Japan!” –Editor

No comments :