Monday, March 23, 2009

Son of the Shadows

Son of the Shadows (The Sevenwaters Trilogy #2) by Juliet Marillier
Read: 12/7/08-12/18/08 (started reading before that on 7-8-08, but stopped after only 20 pages, so I just started again in December)
LibraryThing tags: Fantasy, Romance, Historical Fiction, Ireland, Medieval

As you can see, it has been a few months since I read this, so this won't be a super-detailed review. I remember I didn't like this one quite as much as the first or third, but my opinion is hardly universal. Certainly it was a good book. But the first one was amazing, and had other things going for it that I won't talk about for those of you who haven't read it yet. And the third one... well, in my opinion the perspective (especially with the setup of the first two books) made that one, well, also amazing. So. I think this one was the least self-contained of the three (or at least it has the least closure -- like I said, the third one relies on setup), which is probably another reason I liked it less than the others. It does have its own story, but that story is shaped by motivations and struggles which aren't fully played out yet. And there's a little less time actually with the love interest too, which can be annoying. Like in Sleepless in Seattle. I like to see their romantic interactions. The more the better. "Interactions" being the key word. Not just daydreaming or hearing others talk about them or hearing their voice on the radio (again, Sleepless in Seattle). Yep. Anywho.

No comments :