Sunday, April 29, 2012

LITERALLY.

I feel like I am literally fading away.*

Yes, I know that I cannot and will not literally fade away. I mean, I could have a slowly fading tan, but I wouldn't go so far as to fade away, in that case.

Nonetheless, I feel like I'm literally fading away. So there. Ha.

There's an episode of Big Bang Theory in which Sheldon objects to someone's use of "nauseous," saying the correct word is "nauseated." Now, I have my share of syntactical and semantical peeves, but that isn't one of them. I was actually taken a bit aback by this distinction.

Later on, thinking about it some more, I decided that perhaps the theory behind this is that "nauseous" ought to mean that one is literally made up of nausea -- kind of like gaseous. Gaseous substance, nauseous substance.

Okay, so I can still feel nauseous, then. Ha! Yes, there are times when I feel like I am literally made up of nausea. Hey, it's not my fault if my feelings tend towards hyperbole. (Wait, is it? ::drawn into sudden introspection::)

I just can't say "correctly" that I am nauseous. Alright, I can go with that.

Hmm. This whole post seems to be ruined by dictionary.com's usage note on "nauseous." Dang it. My theory was funnier and made more sense. Yeah. So there. At least it says it's perfectly fine to use that way. Take that, Sheldon.



*Or I did when I first started writing this, before the "March Madness" post. Subsequently decided I should have a real Pregnancy Announcement post before this one, and then combined that with a summary of other current events in my life. Then took a while to finish writing it. I think I may have started this one in late February, early March. Something like that.

No comments :